Lighting for pedestrian crossing must meet the following criteria:
- to illuminate the pedestrian crossings from both sides of the road to achieve the required vertical illuminance levels;
- lighting calculations are needed to determine the required poles height, lengths and also luminaire power needed for a particular installation location;
- use of asymmetric optics which are designed for pedestrian crossings to properly illuminate the crossing and prevent the dazzling of drivers;
- use of high-quality, long-life LED lamps and drop-off lights;
- use of a different color temperature of light than the surrounding public lighting color temperature to highlight the crossings. Recommended color temperature is 5500K or higher.